Critical Reflection

 Module Learning

The goal I set for myself at the start of the course was to improve my communication skills, particularly in technical writing and public speaking. I am pleased to say that my public speaking skills have improved significantly, as I am now more relaxed and confident. Previously, I tended to be nervous and would often mess up during presentations. However, with guidance from Professor Brad Blackstone and my peers, I have been able to overcome my nervousness. For example, during presentations, I have learned to take more pauses to give myself time to think about what to say next.

Regarding my technical writing, it is still a work in progress as I am not yet confident in my writing skills. This is something I will continue to improve on even after this module ends, so that I can become better than I am now. To improve my public speaking skills, I make sure to thoroughly understand the content of my presentations and refer to the instructional units provided to guide me. Similarly, for my technical writing, I also refer to the instructional units and listen to feedback such as the peer evaluation from Prof. Brad and my peers to improve myself. Although my technical writing is still weak, I make an effort to improve by reading newspapers and books.

Initially, I felt that this module was a waste of time, as it only offered 4 credit units but required a lot of work. However, overall, I have found this module to be very helpful for me and others. I hope that this module continues for everyone. In the future, I hope that the content will be reduced, as I feel that there is too much happening within the span of 14 weeks for a 4 credit unit module. Despite this, I still believe it is a good module.


 Project Learning

At the beginning of this project, I felt overwhelmed because I was not familiar with the topic we chose. There wasn't much existing research to build on, so we had to do a lot of independent research for our report, which is due on April 6, 2024. However, working with SGSecure Transport Innovators has been a great experience. Our team members have different strengths that complement each other well, which has made our collaboration very effective.

One area I have realized I need to focus on is my technical writing. I have never used APA format before, so I have had to constantly refer to instructional units to make sure I am following the guidelines correctly. Despite this challenge, working on this report has helped me understand the importance of clear and concise writing in technical documents.

Working with my group has also taught me a lot about teamwork. We have learned each other's strengths and weaknesses, which has helped us work together more efficiently. I've been especially impressed by how hardworking and smart my groupmates are. They really embody the idea of working smart and working hard, and I admire them for that.

Overall, this project has been a valuable learning experience for me. It has taught me the importance of thorough research, clear communication, and effective teamwork. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with such a dedicated group of people, and I look forward to applying what I have learned in future projects.

I would like to express my gratitude to Professor Brad Blackstone for making his lesson interesting and engaging, as well as for giving feedback for me to improve myself. Last but not least I would like to thank my classmates for making class lively and fun.

"The last 13 weeks have been fun,
having classes away from the sun, 
Coming to your lessons was never a chore, 
For your lessons was never a bore.

We laugh and learn together in class, 
Till the hours, days and weeks just seems to pass.
Reading out instructions and information from the slides. 
For if we are lost, Professor Blackstone is there to guide." - Irham, 2024

Comments

  1. Thank you very much, Nabil, for this straightforward, well crafted and insightful reflection. Thanks too for the kind words and the silly but heartfelt poem. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment